One of South Central Los Angeles Regional Center’s most important components and resources is the Family Resource Center (FRC).
The FRC staff places much needed attention on the family strengthening/community-building aspects of our mission. The FRC supports families of children who are at risk for or who have been diagnosed with a developmental disability. The Family Resource Center is funded in collaboration with SCLARC and Federal (Part C) funds, made available through a contract with DDS, Early Start Program, contract #390019.
The FRC provides a wide range of services including:
- A help-line to provide parents and caregivers with community resources, information, referrals, and in English and Spanish
- One-to-one peer counseling support to families and caregivers
- Ongoing educational sessions and training for parents and professionals
- Ongoing outreach and public awareness to the community
- A lending library with special needs bibliography, brochures, videos and community resources
- A toy loan library with typical and adapted toys
- Parent support groups
- Play Dates
The South Central Los Angeles Regional Center/Family Resource Center serves as a central point of contact for consumers of all ages, including infants and toddlers, families of children with special needs, service providers, community-based agencies and organizations. We offer family focused information, referrals, support, and training to promote family empowerment. These services are responsive to the community’s ethnic diversity.
- To facilitate the provision of parent to parent support services
- To provide resources, training and support to families caring for children with special needs
- To provide family-focused information, which empower consumers and families to make informed choices and decisions
- To enhance collaboration between parents and professionals