consumer services

One of the most important services SCLARC provides is coordinating and advocating for services on behalf of eligible individuals. Many services are available through generic resources such as school districts, Medi-Cal, Medicare, private insurance, and California Children Services (CCS). Each SCLARC consumer is assigned a Service Coordinator who provides case management to help secure these services. If a generic resource is unavailable, then SCLARC may consider funding services that are deemed appropriate for enhancing the individual’s quality of life as it relates to their developmental disability.

What Services Do Regional Centers Provide?

Regional centers provide or coordinate the following services related to a developmental disability:

  • Information and referral
  • Assessment and diagnosis
  • Counseling
  • Lifelong individualized planning and service coordination
  • Purchase of necessary services included in the individual program plan
  • Assistance in finding and using community and other resources
  • Advocacy for the protection of the legal, civil and service rights
  • Early intervention services for at risk infants and their families
  • Genetic counseling
  • Family support
  • Planning, placement, and monitoring for 24-hour out-of-home care
  • Training and educational opportunities for individuals and families
  • Community education about developmental disabilities

What Do Regional Center Services Cost?

  • Once eligibility is determined, most services are free regardless of age or income. There is a requirement for parents to share the cost of 24-hour out-of-home placements for children under age 18. This share depends on the parents’ ability to pay. There may also be a co-payment requirement for other selected services.
  • Regional centers are required by law to provide services in the most cost-effective way possible. They must use all other resources, including generic resources, before using any regional center funds. A generic resource is a service provided by an agency which has a legal responsibility to provide services to the general public and receives public funds for providing those services. Some generic agencies you might be referred to are the local school district, county social services department, Medi-Cal, Social Security Administration, Department of Rehabilitation and others. Other resources may include natural supports. This is help that you may get from family, friends or others at little or no cost.

How Do You Receive Regional Center Services?

  • A person can qualify for services at any age; however, the person must be diagnosed with an intellectual and/or a developmental disability before the age of 18.
  • Regional centers do not provide support to persons who are only diagnosed with a mental illness (i.e. depression, schizophrenia), have a learning disability (i.e. dyslexia, auditory processing disorder), are only deaf or blind, or only have a speech disorder.
  • The primary diagnosis must be an intellectual and/or developmental disability. A person can be found eligible who is dually diagnosed with an intellectual or developmental disability as well as other disabilities described above.
  • However, if you feel someone is delayed, and are unsure if they would qualify for SCLARC services, please refer them for an assessment.

What Can The Regional Center Do For Me?

  • The regional center helps coordinate the services that are needed because of a developmental disability. This is called case management or service coordination. A Case Manager or Service Coordinator will be assigned to help you. He or she will help develop a plan for services, tell you where services are available, and help you to get the services.