Position Title: Community Relations Specialist
Title of Immediate Supervisor: Advancement Officer
Salary Range: $50,259.38 - $70,720.00
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Works with various SCLARC stakeholders to improve communication about SCLARC programs and services, conducts outreach and awareness activities, and works with community partners to improve access to generic resources for individuals and families served by SCLARC.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Conducts research, provides informational presentations to both small and large groups, attends resource fairs, provides needs assessment, as well as networks with other public and private health and human services agencies.
- Assists in the development of outreach materials for individuals who are, or are at-risk of becoming developmentally disabled as well as develops outgoing communications materials.
- Coordinates production of agency-related media such as newsletters, brochures, speeches, video scripts and presentations.
- Helps manage SCLARC’s social media platforms.
- Serves as representative on inter and intra departmental teams to implement projects or initiatives to improve service delivery for individuals served by SCLARC.
- Attends community partner workgroups to bring awareness of needs of individuals served by SCLARC, and stay up to date on community resources.
- Support individuals served by SCLARC, and/or Service Coordinators with connecting to tangible resources such as food, clothing, housing, or other needed resources. Serves as the liaison for housing resources such as the HOME Program and Seasons at Compton. Support the Advancement Officer in applying for, and coordinating donations of tangible goods as well as with special events.
- Support Advancement Officer in maintaining grant project data reports and in managing implementation of various special project grants.
- Serves as the liaison for the Board of Directors Supportive Services Committee.
- Support Advancement Officer with the Parent Advisory Committee.
- Works in collaboration with the Association of Regional Center Agencies on special events and projects as needed such as Grassroots Day. Coordinates advocacy efforts to legislators within SCLARC’s service area.
- Develops and implements education and training opportunities of SCLARC and community programs.
- Maintains monthly training and event calendars. Monitors, tracks and evaluates all training projects.
- Develops and maintains systems to measure the effectiveness of the training programs and make recommendations for changes. Assists with the new Staff Training LMS course when requested and serves as back-up instructor when necessary for new Staff Trainings.
- Attends key inclusion & diversity conferences and trainings that will help SCLARC innovate their strategic approach to reaching Diversity and Inclusion goals and objectives.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES – None
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. An individual must also be knowledgeable of and apply essential computer applications including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Must be bilingual (English/Spanish) and have superior writing ability, excellent understanding of grammar as well as strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work at all levels, internally and externally, of the organization. Experience in working on high performance teams, including cross-functional teams. Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet fast-paced deadlines with minimal supervision. Must be detail-oriented and have exceptional problem solving skills.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Community Organization, Public Health, Public Administration, Public Policy, Marketing or a related Communications Field; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Three years, or more, experience developing communication materials. Demonstrated ability to collect data, coordinate community programs, develop written communication material for print, electronic media, and the Internet.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and Legal documents. Have the ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or board of directors. BILINGUAL PREFERRED (English / Spanish).
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS– None
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.