Position Title: Community Services Specialist [Family Home Agency (FHA) Specialist]
Title of Immediate Supervisor: Program Manager of the Community Services Department
Salary Range: $47,149.26 - $66,344.10
The Community Services Specialist responsible for serving as the subject matter expert on Family Home Agency (FHA). This position is responsible for all FHA resource development, monitoring, providing training to SCLARC staff, and tracking and reporting to the Department of Developmental Services (DDS).
The Community Services Specialist is also responsible for conducting quality assurance (QA) evaluations, providing QA training to team members who may include SCLARC staff, volunteers, and clients, and assisting in the development and revision of the quality assurance process. This position will engage in resource development for SCLARC’s catchment area (Bell, Bell Gardens, Maywood, Paramount, Cudahy, Downey, Huntington Park, South Gate, Compton, Lynwood, Gardena, Vernon and Carson, as well as the South Los Angeles area, including the communities of Watts, Crenshaw, Hyde Park, Leimert Park, View Park and Baldwin Hills) that includes participating in the Request for Proposal (RFP) process. This position will involve all steps of vendorization as outlined in California Code of Regulations Title XVII. The position will provide program evaluation, and technical assistance to staff, vendors, clients and the community on resources, regulations, unmet needs and quality assurance. This position is to ensure services provided to people supported are in compliance with Title XVII, California Code of Regulations, the Lanterman Act, Agency standards and best practices for community programs for the developmentally disabled. A knowledge base of regulations is strongly recommended. The position must collaborate with the vendor community, Community Care Licensing, and with the Department of Developmental Services.
Receives supervision from the Program Manager of the Community Services Department
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Disclaimer – This list is meant to be representative, not exclusive. Some incumbents may not perform all the duties listed or may perform related duties as assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
A. Essential Job Specific Duties:
1. Act as subject matter experts and provide support and technical assistance to regional center staff, service providers, consumers and families about FHA.
2. Provide training on FHA to service coordinators and other regional center staff who may be involved in the decision to pursue a FHA living arrangements.
3. Acts as a resource person with relation to FHAs.
4. Conducts investigations on complaints for FHA, but may also assist with other investigations for other service categories.
Community Services & Family Support 2
5. Provides Regional Center orientation presentations, participate in interagency meetings and work groups to represent the Regional Center, coordinate services and develop new resources.
6. Works with DDS on scheduling DDS Review of the FHA(s).
7. Work with regional center staff to research and identify concerns, barriers and challenges to the utilization of the FHA model.
8. Resolves vendor complaints regarding monitoring reviews; and communicates with Service Coordinators and Managers about program issues.
9. Partners with other regional center staff, and personnel from outside agencies on projects/interagency agreements
10. Collect and provide data, as requested by the Department, regarding the number of individuals served through this effort.
11. Maintain respectful and clear communication with supervisor. Accept guidance, constructive advice and supervision. Seek clarification or support, as needed.
12. Work alternative hours as required.
13. Attend all meetings, trainings, and conferences as assigned.
14. Other Duties as Assigned.
B. Other Job Specific Duties:
1. Coordinate and conduct quality assurance evaluations on community programs as an independent evaluator or as an evaluation team leader, including drafting evaluations reports, conducting follow-up visits, and providing ongoing monitoring.
2. Develop plans of correction for underperforming programs and provide follow-up as needed.
3. Deliver specialized training workshops for service providers, staff, and community representatives.
4. In coordination with other staff, revise evaluation tools for residential and nonresidential programs as needed based upon working knowledge of Title XVII regulations and best practices in the field.
5. Analyze and review changes in relevant sections of Title XVII and XXII and DDS standard regulations and make policy recommendations as appropriate.
6. Serve on in house teams, community committees, and task forces to improve quality of community programs.
7. Participates in State reviews of SCLARC services and meetings with Community Care Licensing and other Regional Centers.
8. Provide updated information and referral to staff, vendors and families regarding all community resources.
9. Participate in assessing needed resources as well as reviewing identified unmet referrals on an ongoing basis.
10. Provide technical assistance to staff in accessing existing resources and developing new ones, and on quality assurance issues in reference to laws and regulations
11. Develop, facilitate, participate in and monitor the Request for Proposal process.
12. Oversee and review all aspects and phases of the vendorization process, including program design and rate review and compliance.
13. Facilitate all rate adjustments based on State mandates and system requirements.
14. Develop, maintain and monitor vendor contracts and payment agreements.
15. Act as a liaison to several different types of vendors.
16. Complete reports, input data and perform clerical functions related to resource development, and/or corrective action plans.
17. Coordinate, facilitate, and/or assist with staff trainings, service provider trainings, network meetings and Vendor Advisory Committee meetings.
18. Review and track all Independent Audits and follow up.
19. Investigate and follow up on whistleblower complaints.
20. Assist with data entry into computer systems as necessary.
21. Maintain safe and functional work environment.
Community Services & Family Support 3
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Excellent ability to collaborate with various stakeholders;
Exceptional organizational skills including time management and project tracking;
applications for the collection, input, and analysis of data, and producing reports;
Excellent math skills and ability to understand regulations and legal language;
Knowledge of program development process as it relates to applicable regulation and statute;
Basic needs and approaches in working with persons who have developmental disabilities
Current legislation and regulations as it relates to develop, implementation and evaluation of services for individuals with developmental disabilities
Data, information collection, and resource development, as it relates to developmental disabilities
Strong verbal and written communication skills;
Work independently and adhere to strict timelines;
Present trainings and presentations in front of large group of providers and community partners with a broad spectrum of business and professional expertise;
Lead and complete major projects with a high level of professionalism;
Work well in a high pressure environment;
Utilize computer skills, especially Excel, Word, and PowerPoint or similar software Convey complex information and ideas (including policies, procedures, regulations and expectations) to diverse groups clearly concisely, verbally and in writing.
Interpret guidelines and standards and apply them in a fair and consistent manner.
Program evaluation and development.
Collaborate with providers and community partners.
Document and maintain accurate data, reports and records.
Problem identification and analysis.
Collaborate and work on Teams.
Have excellent customer service orientation.
Have strong organizational and time management skills.
Be empathic and demonstrates respect and support cultural awareness.
Multi-task, work well under pressure, prioritize and produce within deadlines
Develop standard business communications using proper grammar, spelling and punctuation
Interpret and analyze physical and statistical data and prepare statements and reports
Read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The following requirements generally demonstrate possession of the minimum requisite knowledge and ability necessary to perform the duties of the position.
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited school of social welfare or related human services field with Master’s Degree preferred.
Three or more years of experience in case management services, community organization or 2+ years post-graduate work, one of which must be in the field of developmental disabilities.
A master’s Degree may be substituted for two years experience.
A diverse background with experience with managing or working with programs for developmentally disabled.
Community Services & Family Support 4
Possession of a valid California Driver’s License and State automobile insurance, and acceptable driving record substantiated by a DMV printout.
Full use of automobile or ability to provide for independent transportation.
Must be able to drive to various sites as assigned on a daily basis.
Smart casual business attire.
The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters in performing the essential functions of this job.
Work is performed in the field and an office environment
Manual dexterity for typing on a computer keyboard.
Vision required to view computer monitor, read numbers and printed material.
Mobility sufficient to reach, lift and transport files and other work material to work areas.
Mobility sufficient to visit clients’ homes, community services provider’s sites and public meetings.