Vendorization FAQ’s

What regional center do I contact if I want to be a vendor?

Vendors/Service providers are vendored by the regional center in whose catchment area the service is located. The vendoring regional center is responsible for ensuring that the applicant meets licensing and Title 17 requirements for vendorization, determining the appropriate vendor category for the service to be provided, and approving or disapproving vendorization based upon their review of the documentation submitted by the applicant.

What do I need to be a vendor in SCLARC?

  • The applicant’s must have an office located in SCLARC’s catchment area.However the office can not be located on property designated/zoned for residential living. This includes both single family and multi-family dwellings
  • The applicant must have documented experience with Regional Centers and the individuals we serve
  • Applicant must have knowledge and requirements of Title 17 California Code of Regulations,

Title 17. Public Health – Division 2 Chapter 3: Community Services Subchapter 2:Vendorization

Title 17. Public Health – Division 2; Chapter 3: Community Services Subchapter 4:Residential Services and Quality Assurance Regulations

Title 17. Public Health – Division 2; Chapter 3: Community Services Subchapter 5:Standards for Nonresidential Services


What documentation do I need to submit to the SCLARC when requesting

  • Letter of Intent- Addressed to Chief of Community Services which Includes a Introduction, the service address, and a brief description of intended services
  • Resume- indicating the experience needed as required by Title 17 California Code of Regulations
  • Program Design- following Title 17 outline requirements

Does my program have to be licensed?

Most site-based programs have to be licensed by the Departments of Social Services or Health Services before vendorization (Title 17, Sections 54342, 56740, 56760(a)(1)).

Where do I find Day Care & Residential Facility licensing requirements?

Department of Social Services’ licensing requirements may be found in Title 22 of the California Code of Regulations (

Once I am vendored do I start getting referrals?

As stipulated in Title 17, Section 54322(d)(10), vendorization does not guarantee consumer placements or referrals by the Regional Center.

Can I receive referrals from other Regional Centers once I am vendored?

You may receive referrals from the 21 state Regional Centers. However, you should not provide any service without written authorization for payment from the referring Regional Center.

If I open a new/additional location(s), do I have to submit a new vendor application?

Yes. Each location must be separately licensed and vendored for the new/additional location(s).

If I move my program into a new regional center catchment area, what must I do?

You must notify the current vendoring regional center, in writing, at least 30 days prior to the change in location. Keep in mind that the new location must be licensed before being used, so this must be figured into your timeframes. You must contact the new regional center in whose catchment area you will be moving to begin the vendorization process for a new vendor.

Residential Requirements

Minimum Requirements

  • An applicant for vendorization is required to have a minimum one year hands on experience working with consumers (not family) in a licensed residential or day program setting. (volunteers hours must be documented and equate to over one year).
  • Complete the licensing process with Community Care Licensing (CCL). Contact the appropriate CCL office listed below to request information regarding the next orientation to develop the residential/day program for the age group you choose to work with: children (0-17 years old); adults (18-59 years old); and the elderly (60 and above).a. Los Angeles and Tri-County Adult Licensing Office, 1000 Corporate Center Dr., Suite 500, Monterey Park, CA 91754 (323) 980-4934.

    b. Los Angeles and Tri-Coastal Counties Children’s Residential Program Regional Office, 1000 Corporate Center Dr., Suite 200A, Monterey Park, CA 91754 (323) 981- 3425.

    c. Los Angeles Metro and Valley Children’s Residential Program Regional Office, 6167 Bristol Parkway, Suite 210, Culver City, CA 90230 (310) 568-1807.

  • Provide written evidence of completion of SCLARC’s Residential Services
    Orientation Training. To be eligible for the course you must have an Administrator Certificate from CCL. The course is held in January and July at SCLARC. Enrollments are one month prior. The course is limited to 25 participants and it fills up quickly.
  • Note that the maximum capacity for all new SCLARC residential development is four persons, effective October 15, 1998.
  • Also note that the licensee must meet minimum requirements specified in number 1-3 of this announcement.

Program Design Review and Approval

Submit a program design appropriate for the level of services you plan to provide. Please note that if consumers are currently residing in your home, at least 50% must require the level of care you are requesting. Refer to Title 17, California Code of Regulations, Section 56013 for program design requirements.

In addition to what is outlined in the regulations, your program design must include the following:

  • Medication Preparation and Dispensing Procedures.
  • Statement Indicating that Medication Logs will be Maintained.
  • Emergency Disaster Plan.
  • Consumer Medical Emergency Procedures.
  • Staffing Emergency Procedures.
  • Consumer Hydration Policy.
  • Statement Indicating that a Menu will be Posted.
  • Consumer Grievance Procedure.
  • Neighborhood Complaint Procedure.
  • Sample Activity Schedule.
  • Sample Staff Schedule.
  • Copy of Personnel Policies.

Vendorization Process

A vendor application packet will be given to you after SCLARC confirms that you have met the minimum requirements and your program design is approved. For further information regarding development, you may contact a SCARC resource developer.